Sunday, September 27, 2009

Different Taste Restaurant @ Frankel Avenue

This is a long overdue review of one small family restaurant that surpass my expectations of home-cooked style food chain. The place is called ‘Different Taste’ and the particular branch is at Frankel Avenue.

This place was first introduced by my mom. She had dinner once with her friends and dragged us there from Yishun insisting that it is worth the trip. And it was indeed.

However, these photos are taken on subsequent visits made by me and Joline. Enjoy.

Famous dishes there are the curry fish head but sadly I didn’t get a chance to eat that. But I can comment on those I have tried.



My favourite is the Prawn Paste Fried Chicken (Xia2 Jiang4 Ji1). This is one dish worthy of a try if you are the sort of person who loves thick prawn paste taste over crispy fried chicken. This dish is usually served piping hot!









Another dish is their Wasabi Prawn. This dish is off the menu but you can just order it and the waiter would know what you are talking about. It is a good mix with the crunchiness of the prawn with the spiky hint of wasabi mayo.










Common dishes are like Sambal KangKong. This is a dish that is rather varied from time to time. It can be very good and yet can be not so good too… Depends on luck I guess.








Their Taohu Goreng is quite good too… Especially their peanut sauce… But go there in a larger group than 2 person else you will stuff yourself till you can barely move… That’s usually the case for me when Joline and I go there.

3 comments:

Brandon McCann said...

I love food. I would love to talk more about these types of flavors. feel free to reply back to me at http://bkshox5.blogspot.com

Ken said...

Hi Brandon,

Nice to know you are a food lover yourself. In Singapore, we have a wide variety of flavors from different cultures.

Most of the dishes mentioned are more towards the malay culture but with some twist too.

Cheers,
Ken

Anonymous said...

I really miss the WASABI PRAWNS!!! Will NEVER get sick of it!
Fr: bb